Wednesday, October 13, 2010

New version of my 50mm telescope from Toys r Us

Toys R Us stores have a new version of the 'Land and Sky' telescopes, marked (II) version 2 on sale! Price is now S$44.95.

I think this version is a slight step backwards from the original version. The 45 degree star-diagonal is now integrated and not removable, which is more suited for erect-image, terrestrial viewing.

The location of the focus knob is now on top of the tube assembly(?) and also not removable, it looks like an upside down
focuser. The box claims it works better and smoother..(like crayford?) 

Seems like the main objective cell is also cemented in place, and the design is even more toy-like than before. It now
comes with an intergrated lens cap which doubles as a pointing aid together with the plastic zero-magnification pointer marker when flipped up from the middle section. Nope, no led pointer here.

It is heartening to know that Toy R Us, and/or the manufacturer, bothers to 'upgrade' a toy telescope, but if you decide to strip the telescope to make it more usuable, eg, shimming, flocking etc, I don't see how it is possible with this new version. But straight out of the box, it should gives the casual curious minds a satisfying view of the
moon and its craters, the birds and the people across your street etc.

Fortunately it still has a glass (doublet) objectives to save what's left of this telescope. Oh yes, you get a free star chart too, or rather a planisphere to get you started. I think they should include a moon map instead. Two 0.96" plastic eyepieces and a table top (plastic) tripod are included as standard. Focal length is still 360mm.

I had initially purchased the original version of this telescope just for fun, and to achieve my 50 objects goal from a 50mm scope, which i think so far it is doing reasonably and optically ok (after some DIY improvements). I don't think i would have started on this project if i have seen the version 2 before the original version. And the tube now looks plastic instead of aluminium in the
original version. (I may be wrong here..)

First impression.. 3.5 out of 5 stars. (why 3.5 stars?!!) Well its a toy telescope for christ sake, and it still cost less than a freaking meade plossl eyepiece. Buy this and look at the moon*!!  It may be your child's first look at the moon or the trees opposite your house. It will be a long and fruitful road ahead for their inquisitive minds to pursue more in their future.

* Scroll down the blog to check the current Moon phase, if its Full Moon, then
don't burn your retina, best to observe the moon when its Waxing or
Waning state.

 This is Full Moon (use a moon filter if you must observe)

 This is not Full Moon (Waxing Gibbous)

Pics taken by me with a Pentax K200D, 2009.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, you're back! I'm so happy that you're blogging again--I was missing the updates on your adventures with the 50mm scope. I got a 50mm refractor this summer and I've been having a lot of fun with it. Clear skies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt, your blog is really amazing! So many interesting articles you're adding at a regular basis (unlike mine), and boy, your observing sites...I can only dream of. Years back I had a chance to look up a dark sky in Arizona, i will never forget that night..you guys are lucky over there. Your 50mm is like a 100mm at your dark sites , not fair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeff, thanks for the kind words! It's been a while since I did a 'how-to' observing article...I think it's past time I got back to those. I agree, I am ridiculously spoiled by easy access to dark sites. Although I have to put up with quite a bit of light pollution right where I live, I suppose it's nothing compared to what you deal with. All the more impressive that you're pushing on with your 50mm project. I love it--please keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post!! Thank you so much for sharing this interesting post..I know one site i,e bosma optics which is a leading optics manufacturer and supplier .Its main products includes telescope, red dot sight, rifle scope and binocular.It provides products in whole sale prices.Just visit http://www.bosmaoptics.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These article contain a lot of informtion.
    Click here buying guide

    ReplyDelete
  6. These article contain a lot of informtion.
    buying guide

    ReplyDelete