Sunday, August 15, 2010

Jupiter's Vanishing Belt

-Scope: Edu-Sci 50mm refractor (FL 360mm)


It has been a year since my last observation with   my tiny 50mm scope. A year ago in 2009, jupiter still have two belts that are observable through my 50mm, this year i can only see a single belt (NEB). The south equatorial belt (SEB) has vanished!

Well, the 'vanished' or faded belt isn't gone for good, phew, its more like a cycle which could last up to 3 years in this faded state until it reappears again. 

NASA scientist are baffled and 'do not fully understand what's going on', so i won't attempt to explain what's going on here. Until its revival, its going to be an interesting event for all astronomers!

2 comments:

  1. I was out with my 70mm refractor and one of the
    bands (in my scope the top) was definitly dimmer
    than the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the two bands are 'starting' to reappear :)
    Enjoy your 70mm scope!

    ReplyDelete