Sunday, November 14, 2010

Messier 41 and 47

-Scope: Edu-Sci 50mm refractor

Messier 41 - Canis Major



After a heavy downpour this evening, the sky cleared up enough for me to spot this easy object, M41 in Canis Major,
and very near to the star, Sirius.

This is a loosely packed open cluster, very easy for small scopes, a beautiful object you would love to show off to your
grandma. If you are lucky to be staying in a dark site and with good eyesight, you may be able to spot this with your naked
eyes. Sir John Herschel described it as a "coarse collection of stars".

Messier 47 - Puppis



This is another loosely packed 'coarse' open cluster, it doesn't appears to be as impressive as M41 with my telescope. This cluster can be partially resolved with a pair of binoculars.

I didn't have the opportunity to take a second look before the clouds moved in.. 

16 Nov 2010
Had a second view of M47 again tonight, condition is slightly hazy with
temp at 26 degree celsius. Relatively few stars observable and not
exactly an impressive object with a 50mm scope.

1 comment:

  1. I like a lot your project. I consider myself an Amateur Astronomer, I have a 70mm refractor and my personal favorite is M52. What I would like to ask you is how you find the objects? meaning, how do you set the altidude on you refractor? The direction I use my compass or my cellphone but the altitude is what I find more complicated since I don't have a way to measure the inclination of my telescope and find the object, any help would be appreciated, best regard.

    You can visit me on tec-espacio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete