Friday, August 14, 2009

Jupiter

-Scope: Edu-Sci 50mm refractor (FL 360mm)
-Condition : Partly cloudy

After a long break, I continue my quest for the '50 objects' target with my humble 50mm scope. Jupiter is the target today as it appears near the zenith at this time.

The 4 galilean's moons should be easy targets with any 50mm scope (if no occultation or transit occurs). To view the cloud belts I need a 12mm or shorter fl eyepiece, (today my viewing location is my apt's rooftop and brightly lit even at 1.20am!) Very slight hint of reddish brown hue is discernible with a 12mm. Both the latitudinal belt becomes apparent with a 4 or 6mm (huygens) eyepiece although no details or irregularities are detected.


(Simulated view, but belts appears more distint through scope)

Tonight the satellites Ganymede & Europa are quite close to each other. With Io appearing alone on one side. (13 Aug 09 17:13 UT)

*The challenge here for those who already owns the Galileoscope, see if you can detect any belt irregularities or belt's hue with your scope. I think the galileoscope should fair better with its longer focal length.


7 comments:

  1. Hey, you're back! Awesome!

    Jupiter is great right now. I was just walking home from the pub downtown and saw it hanging over the house like a spotlight. There's a little haze tonight, but what the heck, I think I am contractually obligated to take a look. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..pub, beer and astronomy, i think you got it all covered. Enjoy the good life my friend :)

    Pse don't confuse that nagler for a beer bottle and stick it up your scope, you don't want a coors up close to your eyeball and the nagler on the floor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about starting an astro blog for ages, and your addictive posts here finally convinced me to take the plunge. I have several friends who have telescopes but never get them out, and several more who basically never look at the sky. My feeling is that a quick peek through a small scope is infinitely better than no stargzing at all, so I'm calling my blog 10 Minute Astronomy. I'd be grateful for your thoughts if you want to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've got a very nice & informative blog there! Its a totally different approach for someone who needs a hand in astronomy. I have reference your link on our local astro forum. I like your banner with the child and the classic astroscan too. Thanks for putting my site on your blogroll, just when I thought I could add more objects, it started raining over here. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much for the kind words. I need to do a post about my banner, that is my son right after he turned 3, observing the November, 2008, lunar eclipse.

    Keep up the good work yourself. You have no idea how tempted I have been to pick up one of those 50mm scopes just to see what I could do with it. I gave in to temptation in another way, though--I've got a Celestron FirstScope on its way. I'll keep you posted on my coming small scope adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting blog. I used to have a 50mm scope. But i gave it away since there was no way for me to attached a finder. Took me ages to locate an object. I suspect the objective lens was pretty good but the cheap huygens eyepieces werent any good.

    Later I got a 60mm spotting scope that could do 20-60x. I am quite happy with it as a fun scope though I can change eye pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello pikkidok,

    Glad to hear you're enjoying your 60mm scope, i haven't been updating my blog lately and will do so soon.

    Clear skies!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete